Skip to main content.

recreational water

Picture of Stephanie Baer

“To find out after the fact that this could have been avoided — you put my kid through a little nightmare here and you affected his health,” said one mother whose 13-year-old son fell ill after jet skiing in the lake.

Picture of Stephanie Baer

There are no confirmed human deaths linked to toxins produced by cyanobacteria, commonly known as blue-green algae, in the U.S., but in the wake of reports of dogs dying from ingesting these toxins, people are worried about the potential harm to humans.

Picture of Stephanie Baer

It took less than 30 minutes for the 2-year-old golden retriever to die. One moment, the dog was swimming alongside her owners' canoe. The next, she was seizing and foaming at the mouth. Experts say toxic algae is a rising threat in California waters.

CONNECT WITH THE COMMUNITY

Follow Us

Facebook


Twitter

CHJ Icon
ReportingHealth