Applications should include:
- Personal Statement: Tell us about yourself and why you want to participate in the program.
- Project Proposal: Provide a description of the project you’re pursuing. Consider these questions: What is your long-term goal for this project? How would you like to see the community or policy benefit from this work? What makes this reporting new or important?
- Deliverables Statement: Number of stories you’ll be reporting, and tentative story themes or focus, including any multimedia elements you plan to incorporate (photos, video, audio, graphics, etc.).
- Proposed Budget: Please provide a grant amount requested and a rough breakdown of how you plan to use the funds.
- Three samples of your most recent work
- Editor reference letter and completed Editor Checklist form
Who is eligible to apply?
- California-based professional journalists and national correspondents, including freelancers, with California-focused projects. We have accepted reporters in the past across all levels, from the smallest rural newspapers to national outlets.
We give preference to:
- Applicants who have a minimum of three years of professional journalism experience
- Reporters pursuing collaborative projects between mainstream and ethnic news outlets
Don’t see your question answered there? Reach out to us directly: firstname.lastname@example.org.